Catégorie : Reflet-News (Russell-Embrun-Casselman)

  • Salary Increase for Russell Councillors and Mayor

    Salary Increase for Russell Councillors and Mayor

    The Mayor of Russel Township and municipal councillors voted to increase their salaries by $10,000 after eight consecutive years of stagnating pay.  

    During the November 7 regular council meeting, councillors voted to increase their pay retroactively to the beginning of 2023. With the pay increase, all councillors will now be paid $34,000 annually and the mayor $67,000. 

    The original discussion for the salary increase was initiated in 2022 and was discussed as part of the 2023 budget. 

    After discussion, two councillors, Councillor Jamie Laurin and Councillor Mike Tarnowski voted for the retroactive pay, while two others voted against it, Councillor Lisa Deacon and Councillor Marc Lalonde. In the end, Mayor Pierre Leroux was forced to break the tie and voted in favour retroactive pay, something, he said jokingly, “hasn’t happened in a while.” 

    Councillor Laurin explains how they go the $10,000 number by looking at the P50, referring to the market pay position 50 per cent above and below others of the same or similar position across other municipalities. He noticed that the current pay of $24,000 is closer to the 25th percentile, the lowest end of the salary for the job. He comments that there is a loss of interest in those looking to run for councillor and mayor due to the low pay. 

    Councillor Laurin suggest that the “administration indexes this item to come back to council in eight-year cycles.” 

    “We did this in 2015 and now in 2023. I think an eight-year, or a two-term cycle makes sense,” he said. 

  • Russell Industrial Park planning leaves residents in the dark

    Russell Industrial Park planning leaves residents in the dark

    Russell homeowners feel like communication between the municipality and its residents is lacking after recently discovering the Township’s plan to expand the 417 Industrial Park.  

    During Russell’s council meeting on November 27, Councillors brought forward the subject of the expansion of the 417 Industrial Park, extending west from St Guillaume Road along Burton Road, mainly focusing on the Industrial Land Sale Policy and related by-laws. 

    The proposal for the park is to continue Emard Street further west to reach Eadie Road. Phase 3, is to sell municipal-owned lots to businesses and build until they reach near Eadie Road, bringing industrial buildings closer to the residential area. 

    When the floor was opened for questions from the public during the council meeting, more than a half dozen residents came forward to express their confusion on the future plans for the park. Many were frustrated and felt they had been left in the dark about the plans, pointing to the municipality’s poor communication, particularly to those living in the area. 

    “The way we found out about the roadf coming up was there was a surveyor driving stakes into the land. And respectfully, that, I don’t think, is a fair way to do it,” said David Skinner, a resident on Eadie Road, just west of the industrial park. 

    “The Industrial Park is a golden goose for us. That’s what’s allowing us to build the Recreation Complex. That’s what’s allowing us to have the second lowest tax rates in all of Prescott-Russell. It’s (because of) all that growth,” said Mayor Pierre Leroux. 

    Leroux reminds residents Russell Township have Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly known as Twitter) and LinkedIn accounts which relay important information to residents. People can also subscribe to the newsletter on their website and have access to the council’s calendar and public agenda.  

    “We have more ways to communicate than ever before, and we seem to be more disconnected than ever before,” said Leroux. “We follow all the provincial guidelines when it comes to putting out materials. We put it on our social media, we put stuff on our newsletters, in the local papers, the local radio. Communication is a two-way street. There has to be a willingness to seek out that information as well.” 

  • Vigile à Casselman pour les victimes de la violence faite aux femmes

    Vigile à Casselman pour les victimes de la violence faite aux femmes

    Le 6 décembre, la Coalition de Prescott-Russell pour Éliminer la Violence faite aux femmes ont organisées une vigile à Casselman pour commémorer la Journée nationale de commémoration et d’action contre la violence faite aux femmes. 

    La cérémonie c’est passée à 718 sur la rue Principale en avant de la Paroisse Ste-Euphemie à Casselman. Organiser par Martine Lanthier la directrice générale du centre NOVA et Nathalie Pilon superviseure à Ontario au travail, les quinzaines de personnes présentes étaient rassemblés autour d’une tombe avec une plaque affichant « à la mémoire des femmes victimes de violence ». 

    Pendant la cérémonie, quatorze fleures rouge ont été déposer pour les femmes tuées dans la tuerie de l’École polytechnique, neuf fleures mauve pour les femmes victimes de violence et sont morts au sein de la communauté Prescott-Russell, et trois fleures blanche pour les enfants victimes et morts au sein de la communauté. Il y a ensuite eu une minute de silence en honneur pour chaque victime. 

    La Coalition de Prescott-Russell est un organisme à but non lucratif pour but d’éliminer la violence faite aux femmes. 

    La tuerie à l’école Polytechnique de Montréal 

    Le 6 décembre 1989, un homme armé du nom de Marc Lépine est entré à l’école Polytechnique de Montréal. Il a tué 14 femmes pour exprimer sa haine du féminisme. Les noms des 14 femmes sont: Geneviève Bergeron (21 ans), Hélène Colgan (23 ans), Nathalie Croteau (23 ans), Barbara Daigneault (22 ans), Anne-Marie Edward (21 ans), Maud Haviernick (29 ans), Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz (31 ans), Maryse Laganière (25 ans), Maryse Leclair (23 ans), Anne-Marie Lemay (22 ans), Sonia Pelletier (28 ans), Michèle Richard (21 ans), Annie St-Arneault (23 ans), Annie Turcotte (20 ans). 

  • Plaque et plantation d’un arbre en hommage aux victimes de la violence faite aux femmes

    Plaque et plantation d’un arbre en hommage aux victimes de la violence faite aux femmes

    La Coalition de Prescott-Russell pour mettre fin à la violence faite aux femmes a obtenu la permission de planter un arbre et poser une plaque devant l’hôtel de ville de Russell, en hommage aux victimes de la violence faite aux femmes. 

    Lors de la séance ordinaire du conseil municipal de Russell, le lundi 27 novembre, le maire Pierre Leroux a demandé à la Coalition de Prescott-Russell pour mettre fin à la violence faite aux femmes de planter un arbre et d’installer une plaque en hommage aux victimes de la violence faite aux femmes et de tenir des vigiles près du cénotaphe de Russell sur la rue Notre-Dame. 

    « Pour moi, une plaque et un arbre sont une façon de documenter l’histoire, d’avoir un rappel constant, a déclaré M. Leroux. C’est pourquoi nous avons des cénotaphes et d’autres plaques historiques. C’est un léger rappel des événements passés qui ont eu de l’importance. »   

    Les conseillers du canton de Russell ont voté à l’unanimité en faveur de la demande de M. Leroux.  

    M. Leroux a déclaré qu’en tant que membre et président de la Conservation de la Nation Sud, il reçoit 300$ à utiliser pour des causes environnementales communautaires et qu’il utilisera ces fonds pour soutenir l’installation de l’arbre et de la plaque.

    Aucune date n’a encore été fixée pour la plantation de l’arbre et l’installation de la plaque commémorative. 

    Vigile en hommage à la tuerie de Polytechnique 

    Organisées par la Coalition de Prescott-Russell pour l’élimination de la violence à l’égard des femmes, des vigiles se tiendront à Clarence-Rockland, Casselman et Hawkesbury en l’honneur des quatorze femmes assassinées et des dix femmes et quatre hommes blessés lors d’un massacre ciblé contre les femmes. L’attentat a eu lieu le 6 décembre 1989 à Polytechnique Montréal. 

    Les veillées auront lieu de 12 h 15 à 12 h 45, le 6 décembre. 

  • Accused in Nation River Lady Murder Returns to Face Ontario Court

    Accused in Nation River Lady Murder Returns to Face Ontario Court

    The individual accused of murdering a woman and disposing of her body in the Nation River has been extradited to Canada from the United States to face charges in the nearly 50-year-old murder case.  

    On Friday, December 1, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) worked with the U.S. Marshal Service to bring former Montrealer Rodney Nichols, 81, from Hollywood, Florida to accused of murder to court in Casselman. 

    Rodney Nichols is accused of strangling Jewell Langford and disposing her body in the Nation River near Casselman on May 3, 1975. Due to a lack of adequate technology at the time, Langford was long referred to as the ‘Nation River Lady’ until police identified her remains in 2020. 

    OPP officers travelled to Florida to interview Nichols in July, 2023, and collected DNA samples they later matched to blood found on a cloth used to bind Langford’s body. 

    Langford was identified thanks to more advanced DNA testing, known as Investigative Genetic Genealogy (IGG) testing. The OPP, in coordination with the Office of the Chief Coroner (OCC), Ontario Forensic Pathology Service (OFPS) and Provincial Crown Attorney, matched samples through whole genome sequencing from an individual listed in a family DNA tree.  

    Nichols made a virtual appearance before the Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal on Saturday, December 2. His next appearance will be Thursday, December 7, to discuss bail. 

  • Une soirée gagnante aux Chevaliers de Colomb

    Une soirée gagnante aux Chevaliers de Colomb

    Émile Tessier a gagné le premier prix de 2 000$ lors des résultats du tirage au sort de la soirée Bingo effectué par les membres des Chevaliers de Colombe de Casselman, qui s’est déroulé ce 1er décembre.

    Dans le cadre du festival de Noël de Casselman, les Chevaliers de Colomb organisent un bingo à l’école secondaire de la place avec un prix de 2 000$.

    La soirée s’est bien déroulé dans l’ensemble, avec près de 200 participants. Chaque personne a reçu un billet de présence, offrant la possibilité de gagner un bon d’achat d’une valeur de 40 dollars, pour l’obtention d’une dinde, soit au Métro ou au No Frills. Il y a eu également un tirage d’une paire de billets pour le spectacle de Wilfred Lebouthillier et les gars du nord qui a eu lieu à l’Église Ste-Euphemie de Casselman, offert par le village de Casselman. Le tout s’est terminé dès que le gros lot de 2 000$ fut gagné, vers 22h15.

    Ainsi, les résultats du tirage des chevaliers de colomb de Casselman, qui a eu lieu vendredi 1er déc. En présence de la mairesse de Casselman Geneviève Lajoie, commence par donner le premier prix de 2,000$ à Émile Tessier, deuxième prix de 1 000$ à Alain Côté, et le troisième prix de 500$ à Sylvie Levac.

  • BSEO : Extension du rappel du cantaloup

    BSEO : Extension du rappel du cantaloup

    Le Bureau de santé de l’est de l’Ontario (BSEO) rappelle aux résidents qu’une éclosion de salmonelle liée aux cantaloups de marque Malichita et Rudy vendus en Ontario et ailleurs au pays est toujours en vigueur.   

    L’Agence canadienne d’inspection des aliments (ACIA) a émis un avis de rappel le 1er novembre 2023 pour les cantaloups de marque Malichita vendus entre le 11 octobre et le 14 novembre 2023.  

    Le 24 novembre 2023, l’ACIA a mis à jour l’avis de rappel pour inclure les cantaloups de marque Rudy vendus entre le 10 octobre et le 24 novembre 2023.   

    En date du 24 novembre, 63 cas de salmonellose liés à cette éclosion pancanadienne et confirmés en laboratoire ont été enregistrés. Parmi ces cas, 17 personnes ont été hospitalisées et un décès a été signalé.   

    Les symptômes d’une exposition aux salmonelles apparaissent généralement entre six et 72 heures et peuvent durer de quatre à sept jours. Ils peuvent se manifester par de la fièvre, des frissons, des nausées, des vomissements, des diarrhées, des maux de tête et des crampes abdominales. 

    Les personnes infectées par les salmonelles peuvent transmettre la maladie à d’autres pendant des jours, voire des semaines après l’infection, même en l’absence de symptômes. Les salmonelles peuvent se propager par contact avec des surfaces contaminées.   

    La plupart des personnes se rétablissent complètement sans traitement après quelques jours suivant l’infection. Toutefois, les personnes présentant un risque accru de maladie grave, notamment les personnes âgées, les jeunes enfants, les femmes enceintes et les personnes dont le système immunitaire est affaibli, risquent d’être hospitalisées.   

    L’ACIA recommande d’éviter de consommer ou de distribuer des cantaloups de marque Malichita et Rudy, ou tout produit contenant ces marques de cantaloups. Il est également recommandé de désinfecter toutes les surfaces qui ont pu entrer en contact avec le cantaloup. Le BSEO suggère également d’éviter de cuisiner des aliments pour d’autres personnes si vous souffrez d’une maladie gastro-intestinale.   

    Le cantaloup est plus susceptible d’être contaminé en raison de son écorce brodée, une caractéristique unique parmi les melons. Veillez donc à laver les melons avant de les couper avec de l’eau et une brosse à fruits et légumes.  

    Pour plus d’informations, consultez le site web du gouvernement du Canada consacré aux rappels et aux avis de santé publique.  

  • UCPR approves 2024 budget with a 4 per cent tax increase

    UCPR approves 2024 budget with a 4 per cent tax increase

    After a single round of revisions, the UCPR council has approved its budget for 2024.  

    During the regular meeting on November 22, the United Counties of Prescott and Russell (UCPR) has approved its yearly budget for 2024. The budget comes up to a total of $180,304,300 and calls for a residential tax increase of 4.25 per cent. The 2024 tax rates will only be approved once property assessments, regulations, and calculations are available, estimated to be in March or April 2024. 

    Originally, the tax increase was set at 1.81 percent. However, several alterations were made during the budget meeting on November 8: the UCPR’s discretionary funds were increased by $150,000, the Eastern Ontario Agri-Food Network’s grant was reduced by $5,000 as per its request, and two new grants were added. Council allotted $50,000 to Hawkesbury General Hospital for various expenses and $43,000 towards Regroupement Autisme Prescott-Russell to cover its budget deficit. 

    Council also directed $800,000 to the PR Residence construction project from the working capital reserve and added a further $881,400 to the county’s share of the funding to reduce the future debt. 

  • Ontario investissait 3 millions dollars pour les logements abordables à Saint-Albert, Vankleek Hill

    Ontario investissait 3 millions dollars pour les logements abordables à Saint-Albert, Vankleek Hill

    Le gouvernement de l’Ontario a annoncé qu’il investissait près de 3 millions de dollars pour aider à construire les logements abordables pour les personnes âgées dans les Comtés unis de Prescott et les communautés de Saint-Albert et de Vankleek Hill. 

    Le financement a été annoncé à la Résidence Lajoie de Saint-Albert le 24 novembre par Rob Flack, ministre associé du Logement de l’Ontario, et Stéphane Sarrazin, député provincial de Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, le président du conseil des Comtés unis de Prescott et Russell (CUPR) et maire du canton de Champlain Normand Riopel, et enfin du maire de la municipalité de La Nation Francis Brière. 

    Le nouvel immeuble de deux étages de la Résidence Lajoie de Saint-Albert comptera 26 logements, dont six seront accessibles. Chaque logement disposera d’un espace de rangement, et les résidents auront accès à d’autres espaces dans le garage.  

    Les résidents auront à leur disposition de l’équipement de conditionnement physique, une salle de loisirs commune, une salle de réunion et un terrain de jeu de palet en plein air. Cet immeuble sera également éco énergétique et conçu pour répondre aux normes de visibilité grâce à des caractéristiques favorables à l’accessibilité comme des portes larges.  

    « C’est avec grand honneur que notre communauté inaugure le Projet de réaménagement de la Résidence Lajoie. L’accès aux logements abordables en milieu rural est plus difficile que jamais et ce projet arrive à point pour permettre à plus de familles de notre région de bénéficier d’un chez-soi confortable et sécuritaire », a dit M. Brière.  

    Le M. Flack a ajouté à son tour, « Le plan de notre gouvernement en matière de logement vise à faire en sorte que tous les Ontariens et Ontariennes, y compris les aînés, puissent trouver un logement adapté à leurs besoins. Les logements abordables comme ceux de Saint-Albert et de Vankleek Hill permettent aux aînés d’accéder à d’importants services locaux et de faire partie d’une communauté où ils peuvent mener une vie sociale active et saine. Le logement abordable est un élément clé des initiatives de notre gouvernement pour résoudre la crise du logement. » 

  • Three new historical plaques in Russell

    Three new historical plaques in Russell

    Russell Township has unveiled three new historical plaques that have been added to the collection.  

    A total of sixteen historical plaques can be found across the Township, each one exploring the rich and storied history of the region. The three new plaques are located at the Saint-Jacques Bridge, the Embrun Train Station, and the Russell Weir. 

    The Saint-Jacques Bridge is a historic landmark that has connected communities for generations, with countless stories unfolding on its sturdy structure. The Embrun Train Station is a reminder of the Township’s railway heritage as a hub of transportation and commerce in bygone eras. Finally, the Russell Weir has a huge impact on water management in the Township, ensuring water levels stay consistent year-round. 

    Visitors and residents alike can visit all sixteen plaques scattered across the Township, reading about stories and events that have affected the community. By revisiting the past, we ensure it’s never forgotten.